The Canon Rebel XSi Upgrade





For almost 4 months I've fiddled with this camera and already I feel like I need to upgrade to the Canon 40D. The main reason is I need a camera that can handle low light conditions a lot better. All the restaurants that I've been commissioned to take food shots for have really dim lighting. This results in having to use my highest ISO. Thankfully Adobe Lightroom 2 enables me to use Color Noise, cutting back on the graininess of the shots. I was also a bit worried about using the XSi for magazine quality photos since it is more of a prosumer entry level camera. The lenses that I've used are the stock 18-55 mm, Canon 100 mm, and Canon 50 mm. Although the 100 mm is an excellent lens with gorgeous bokeh, the aperture is too small to get everything I want into focus and I have to move a few feet back just to get the entire plate shot. My favorite lens for food shots is definitely the $88 Canon 50 mm lens. Close up macros pair well with the 100 mm.


My Canon Rebel XSi Review at Sazze.com:
The Canon Rebel 450D/XSi is a remarkable digital single lens reflex (DSLR) camera that truly set the bar for entry-level DSLRs. The 450D is a significantly improved upgrade from the Canon Rebel 400D/XTi with the addition of several impressive features for greater flexibility and control.

Major improvements include:
1.Live View AF (take photos like a point and shoot from the LCD screen)
2. 3" LCD screen
3.Bigger and brighter viewfinder
4.Faster processor allows you to take 3.5 frames per second (XTi 3fps/40D 6.5fps)
5.Spot metering
6.Improved 9-point Autofocus
7.Image Stablized Kit lens
8.Smaller battery with longer life

Some things I wanted improved from the XTi is on the XSi like the ISO button and image delete button accessible outside the camera instead of in the menu.

My profile:
Amateur photographer with a Canon A620, Olympus 560UZ, and Canon S3IS. I've handled a Canon SX100IS and Sony H7 before I returned those. So I'm a semi-picky photographer when it comes to choosing cameras that suit my needs. I also handled a Nikon D300 and Canon XTi for several weeks each from friends.

I've had the Canon Rebel XSi for less than a week.

My intended uses:
Build a portfolio as a freelance photographer and sell my photos.
Medium of artistic expression
Capture family moments in top quality images

In my quest to find my first DSLR, the main thing I kept in mind was that any one of the DSLRs I choose will ultimately produce excellent quality photos depending on how I use the camera. The photographer makes the photos not the camera. All the entry-level cameras perform amazingly well so it depends on what features you are looking for. I knew the Nikon D300 and Canon 40D were not in my budget so I narrowed my choices down to the Nikon D80 and Canon XSi. However, my finalized decision to get the Canon XSi stemmed from the fact that Canon has more lenses available and all the lenses that I looked at and wanted were within my price range. Consequently, if I ever plan on upgrading my DSLR body, I would have a collection of great lenses already in my arsenal.

More reasons why I chose the XSi:
1. The body and the kit lens only cost me $594 = affordable. Nikon cameras and lenses are expensive!
2. Has the same Digic III processor as the 40D
3. Live View AF (the 40D does not have this feature, but of course the 40D still outperforms the XSi and has lots of advanced features.) Live View allows you use the LCD to focus and take a picture instead of using the viewfinder. It is really helpful for macro shots.
4. Impressive photos at high ISOs, outperforms all entry-levels in its class (not sure about the D90 because it has yet to come out).
5. Well-regarded and improved 18-55mm kit lens with added Image Stabilization. This lens takes sharper images and works fantastic without a tripod compared to the XTi kit lens.
6. Uses SD/SDHC memory cards. Thank goodness because I have tons of that and they are dirt cheap. A 4GB card is less than $20!

Accessories I also purchased:
1.Canon 50mm f1.8 ll lens
For my second lens I purchased the highly affordable Canon 50mmlens at $86. It is also fantastic for portraits because of the f 1.8 aperture setting. This allows you to have a narrow depth of field resulting in a blurred background and a crisp subject. Tripod needed for low light.
2.Nikon Pen Lens Cleaning Kit
3.Hoya UV 55 mm and 58 mm filters (protects the lenses from dust, scratches, and UV light).
4.Lowerpro 250 Fastpack Bagpack in black for storing everything and for traveling and hiking
5.LCD screen protector

Overall I was still blown away by the quality of the photos even though I expected it. I am also extremely impressed at how much easier it is to use than I expected once I read the manual. The manual itself was easy to understand and well written with helpful illustrations that guide you. Read this over a couple times. It really does give you tips and guides you through all of the camera features. I could not be happier with my decision and I would absolutely recommend this superb budget DSLR to anyone.

Helpful Resources:
*Canon EOS Rebel 450D/XSi User's Manual pdf : http://gdlp01.c-wss.com/gds/0300000933/EOSRXSi-EOS450D_EN.pdf
*Canon EOS Rebel 450D/XSi Homepage (contains updates, sample, videos. and more): http://web.canon.jp/imaging/eosd/eosdigital4/index.html
*Canon Digital Learning Center: http://www.usa.canon.com/dlc/controller?act=HomePageAct
*Which Camera to Buy? via Netmark :http://web500.us/which-one-to-buy-canon-xsi-canon-450d-or-nikon-d80-nikon-d40/
*How to use Canon XSi via Netmark: http://web500.us/how-to-use-canon-eos-450d-xsi/
*Essential XSi Accessories: http://web500.us/canon-xsi-or-canon-450d-accessories/

Video Tutorials on Youtube:
*Larkphoto: http://www.youtube.com/user/LarkPhoto
*MichaeltheMentor: http://www.youtube.com/user/MichaelTheMentor

Forums:
*DPreview 450D: http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/forum.asp?forum=1031
*DPreview "Tips for using Manual Mode" discussion: http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1031&message=29174950
*DCresource Canon DSLRs: http://www.dcresource.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=11

0 comments:

Post a Comment