Works For Me: Microwave-Free!


Numerous facts have been spun about the dangers of microwaves. A month ago my black 9 year old Sharp microwave finally conked out. I decided to see how life faired without one of the most used appliances in my home. I miss the 2 minutes and 30 seconds hot beverage warm ups, quick leftover re-heating, and breezy defrosting options when I procrastinate planning for meals.

What replaced my family's microwave? The stove, kettle, and counter top convection oven of course. I am happy to report that being microwave-free is a lot easier than I thought it would be. I thought I'd be all jittery and fall into a dark state of depression from the drawbacks of my microwave addiction. I'm here to tell you that you can give it up too!

The biggest pros are:
1.Healthier way of eating
2.Food tastes so much better
3.I'm forced to not procrastinate with the lack of a quick defrosting option
4.I don't buy microwaveable foods

The biggest con:
1.Convenience of set it and forget it in a flash. You spend several more minutes to prepare and heat anything up. It's totally worth it! Free yourself from the chains of the microwave. They aren't really locked you know. ;-)

Helpful links:
Green Living: The Dangers of Microwaved Food
Health Science: Hidden Hazards of the Microwave
FDA Radiological Program: Microwave Ovens



This is my first post participating in the "Works for Me Wednesdays Carnival" at Rocks in My Dryer. You can find lots of tips from other "Mommy" blogs there

9 comments:

Lorie said...

Good for you! We are slowly trying to eliminate using the microwave, more as a side effect of other things. And you forget how much better things taste when made the old fashioned way. Like popcorn! 1000 times better!

Jennie said...

We are experimenting using a toaster oven and our stove this week to see how we can handle no microwave. Besides having to plan a little better.. we really haven't noticed too much difference.
Easy, quick water heat up - we use our coffee maker. :)

Yvonne said...

Lorie- My daughter loves popcorn. I think I'm going to try to make different flavors of homemade popcorn this month.

Jennie- That's great! Donate your microwave ;)

Rachel@just another day in paradise said...

how timely. my microwave officially died last night. I am taking it out tonight (have to clear all the clutter off the top. . .) and appreciate the encouragement! I can so do this. . .maybe.

Jenni said...

Our microwave shorted out just a week or so ago, and we live in an EXTREMELY rural area (on an island in Alaska, LOL!) so we don't have the option of just getting a new one...so we've been doing the microwave-free thing with just the stove/oven... (we don't have a toaster oven or convection oven). It does mean it takes 10 minutes to heat something instead of 2, but you know, it's nice too because it makes us slow down alittle bit. And really, if you can't find 10 minutes in your day, maybe you need to relax a little, you know?!

Michelle said...

LOL...Dumped mine along time ago...with my honey's blessings.

Yvonne said...

Rachel- no problem!

Mommy Bee - LOL! Seriously!

Michelle- My hat's off to you!

Unknown said...

Thanks for all the info! Maybe it's time I go get a toaster oven.

Cyndy said...

I still have mine,it's built in so I don't think it will be going anywhere any to soon. But I don't do a lot of actual cooking with it. I don't even do that much defrosting. Mostly I warm up my coffee! ;D

Thanks for coming by my little blog. Let me know how the dishwasher detergent works for you!

Post a Comment